Materials Selection Policy
The goal of the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Library is to build and maintain
a diverse collection of materials in various formats to support the curricular
and personal needs of students and staff in order to develop users who are
information literate, who are independent learners, and who exhibit social
responsibility. (Information Power. AASL, 1998)
The Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Library selects, organizes, preserves, and
makes available materials that contribute to the educational and recreational
needs of students and staff. The library affirms each individual’s freedom to
read and access all library materials and services.
Books and media selection shall be based on student reading and interest
levels, current library inventory, and the following criteria:
Criteria for selection:
1. Library materials shall support the general educational goals of the
2. Library materials shall meet high standards of quality in factual content,
artistic and literary value, and presentation.
3. Library materials shall be appropriate for the subject area and for the
age, emotional development, ability level, learning styles, and social
development of students for whom materials are selected.
4. Materials shall have aesthetic, literary, scientific or social value.
5. Library materials shall meet the needs and interests of students and
6. Physical format and appearance of library materials shall be suitable for
their intended use.
7. Library materials shall be current and up-to-date.
8. Library materials shall be selected to help students gain an awareness of
our diverse society.
9. The selection of library materials on controversial issues will be
directed towards maintaining a diverse collection representing various views.
Responsibility for selection:
Responsibility for selection of school library materials shall be delegated
to the certified school librarian with the assistance of other school personnel
who will follow selection criteria and procedures. The librarian will work with
faculty members to choose materials to best support the curriculum and the needs
of all library patrons. Student input and requests will also be
Tools used for selection:
The librarian will utilize various tools to guide materials selection
including professionally recognized review journals and standard catalogs.